RECIPE CREATED FOR LILYDALE FREE RANGE CHICKEN
Prep time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 60 mins (plus cooling time)
WHAT'S IN IT?
5cm piece ginger, roughly chopped
6 sprigs, thyme
1 bunch parsley stalks, roughly chopped
2 tsp black pepper corns
3 tbs apple cider vinegar
Salt, to taste
1.5kg Whole Lilydale Free Range Chicken
2 tbs olive oil
2 brown onions, quartered
3 carrots, roughly chopped
3 celery stalks, roughly chopped
1 head garlic, halved
1/4 cup parsley leaves, to garnish
Extra virgin olive oil, to garnish
1 carrot, peeled, thinly sliced on angle
1 celery stick, thinly sliced on angle
2 tbs chives, finely sliced, to garnish
PUTTING IT ALL TOGETHER:
1. Heat a large stock pot over a medium low heat, drizzle olive oil and brown the chicken all over. Remove chicken. Add onion, carrots, celery, garlic and ginger and cook until aromatic. Place chicken back in pot adding thyme, parsley stalks, black pepper, cover with water and add apple cider vinegar. Season to taste with salt.
2. Bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 1hr. Allow chicken to cool in liquid slightly. Carefully remove chicken and set aside, once cool enough to handle, pick the chicken meat in to small pieces.
3. Strain cooking liquor through a sieve lined with muslin, discarding solids.
4. Return soup to a clean pot adding the fresh carrot and celery. Cook for a further 8-10 mins or until carrot is just cooked.
5. To serve, add chicken to bowls pouring over soup and topping with chives, parsley and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
Recipe notes and tips:
* You can add rice, pearl barley, egg noodles, potato, dumplings, matzo balls etc. to bulk out the soup.