KOREAN PORK BURGER WITH GOCHUJAN MAYO
This flavoursome Korean Pork Burger is dripping with flavour and tastes delicious with a mix of Hellmann’s Real Mayonnaise and Gochujang – a savoury and spicy Korean condiment made from red chili, rice and soybeans, giving a spicy, salty and slightly sweet balance to the dish.
This recipe may mean a trip to your local Asian grocer or speciality store but it will be worth it!
Recipe Serves: 6 | Prep Time: 20 mins | Cook Time: 5 mins
WHAT'S IN IT?
600g pork belly, sliced (8mm thick)
2cm ginger knob, peeled & grated
2 garlic cloves, peeled & grated
2 tbs Gochujang
300g Hellmann’s Real Mayonnaise
½ cup celeriac, cut into matchsticks
½ cup purple cabbage, finely sliced
2 small carrots, cut into matchsticks
¼ cup kimchi, pieces
1 lemon, juice
2 tbs olive oil
3 tbs sake
3 tbs honey
2 tbs soy sauce
2 tbs mirin
6 hamburger buns, toasted
¼ cup coriander, leaves only
PUTTING IT ALL TOGETHER:
1. Pre-heat BBQ or griddle pan over a medium high heat.
2. Coat pork belly slices in ginger and garlic.
3. Mix the Gochujang and mayonnaise together in a small dish and refrigerate until needed.
4. Gently heat the glaze ingredients, stirring well together. Simmer gently to reduce sauce by a third. Keep warm on stovetop for later use.
5. BBQ or griddle the pork for 5 minutes, turning frequently until nicely golden brown. Once cooked, dredge pork through the glaze and set aside on a wire rack.
6. To make the slaw, place all ingredients in a large bowl and toss well to combine. Don’t make the slaw until you are ready to serve, as the natural colour of the red cabbage will bleed out if you make it ahead of time.
7. To assemble the burger, butter the bottom of the bun liberally with the creamy Gochujang mayo mix, followed by the slaw, coriander, then 2 or 3 of the pork pieces.