GRILLED OCTOPUS SALAD
Perfect for Australian barbecues and dinner parties, this delicious grilled octopus salad is finished to perfection with a garlic, paprika and Hellmann’s Real Mayonnaise dressing.
Recipe Serves: 6 as a part of a shared meal | Prep Time: 25 mins | Cook Time: 1.5 hr, plus cooling time
WHAT'S IN IT?
2.5 kg large octopus, cleaned
2 bay leaves
2 tsp black peppercorns
1 cup red wine
1 cup water
4 tbs olive oil
2 tbs balsamic vinegar
2 tsp smoked paprika
2 tsp dried oregano
Zest of one lemon
500g kipfler potatoes
½ cup Hellman’s Real Mayonnaise
1 head of garlic
1 tbs olive oil
1 tsp smoke paprika
1/2 cup pitted green olives, halved
1 lemon, cut into wedges
Salt and pepper, to taste
¼ cup continental parsley, finely chopped (keeping some leaves to garnish)
¼ cup mint leaves
¼ cup dill, sprigs only
PUTTING IT ALL TOGETHER:
1. Preheat oven to 180C. Place the whole head of garlic on some foil, drizzle with olive oil, wrap and roast for 1 hr. Remove and set aside.
2. In a large pot, add octopus, spices, red wine and water. The octopus will not be covered but the aim here is to cook the octopus in its own juices. Simmer for 1-1.5 hrs until tender.
3. Remove from pot to a large bowl, cool slightly, then cover with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, smoked paprika, dried oregano and lemon zest and cover and place in the fridge to chill. This makes it easier to cook on the grill.
4. Boil potatoes for 10-12 mins or until tender. Strain and set aside.
5. Preheat BBQ or griddle pan to a high heat. Cook the octopus for 4-5mins or until nicely charred (the octopus is already cooked, this gives it a beautiful, rich colour).
6. To make the mayonnaise dressing, squeeze out the cooled roasted garlic from the skins, mix with the olive oil, Hellmann’s mayo and season with paprika, salt and pepper. This adds a creamy decadent touch to compliment the fresh and citrusy dish.
7. Serve to a large board or serving plate with scatterings of the octopus, halved potatoes and olives, then dressed liberally with the lemon juice, olive oil and salt and pepper.
8. Sprinkle over the herbs and serve the fragrant roasted garlic mayonnaise on the side or in dollops on the board itself. Add a wedge of lemon and remaining roasted garlic bulbs to the board too for those who appreciate stronger flavours.