WILD RICE & HALOUMI SALAD
RECIPE FROM DELICIOUS. ON SUNDAYS
WHAT'S IN IT?
½ cup (90g) wild rice
1 cup (200g) brown rice
1 red onion, thinly sliced into rings
2 tbs red wine vinegar
3 nectarines, cut into wedges
250g haloumi, thickly sliced
150g rocket leaves
Juice of 1 lemon
¼ cup (60ml) extra virgin olive oil
1 tbs Dijon mustard
PUTTING IT ALL TOGETHER:
1. Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil over medium-high heat. Add the wild rice and cook 15-20 minutes until the grains are starting to open. Add brown rice and cook a further 10-15 minutes until wild rice and brown rice are tender. Drain and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, combine the onion with vinegar, season and toss to coat, then set aside to pickle.
3. Preheat a chargrill or barbecue over high heat. Brush the nectarine flesh with oil then cook, cut side down, for 1-2 minutes until charred. Set aside to cool.
4. Heat a non-stick frypan over medium-high heat. Add the haloumi and cook for 2 minutes a side until golden. Remove and set aside to cool.
5. For the dressing, combine all ingredients in a bowl, season and set aside.
6. Drain the vinegar from the onion and then place onion in a bowl with the wild rice, brown rice, nectarines and rocket. Toss gently to combine. Drizzle over dressing and top with haloumi.