ANG'S LEMON SWEET CORN PASTA
THIS IS A DISH MY GIRLFRIENDS MUM MADE FOR US WHEN JAX'S PARENTS WERE HERE IN AUS FOR CHRISTMAS; IT'S PERFECT FOR THOSE SUMMER NIGHTS WHERE YOU WANT THE COMFORT OF PASTA BUT AREN'T AFTER SOMETHING THAT IS TOO HEAVY.
THE SWEETNESS OF THE CORN AND THE FRESHNESS OF THE LEMON REALLY MAKE THIS DISH SING.
MAKES: 3-4 SERVES (DEPENDING HOW HUNGRY YOU ARE)
WHAT'S IN IT?
4 ears of corn
300ml pouring cream
4 lemons (4 zested, 2 juiced)
4 strips streaky bacon
400g mafalde pasta (or a pasta of your choice)
3/4 sprigs basil, finely chopped
1/2 cup grated parmesan
PUTTING IT ALL TOGETHER:
1. De-husk your corn and then with a knife carefully cut corn kernels off the cob, set aside. Place corn shanks in a large pot with 1.5L water and a good pinch of salt. Bring to the boil and simmer, reducing for 45mins or until only 1/4 of liquid remains.
2. While corn stock is simmering, slowly cook off bacon (starting with a cold pan) until dark and crispy. Once cooked place on paper toweling to remove excess oil. Leave to cool before chopping into fine pieces.
3. Set a large pot of salted water to boil (for pasta). Once boiling rapidly place pasta into water and cook as per packet instructions (or to your liking)
4. Remove corn shanks from liquid adding the cream and corn kernel to the reduced corn water, cook until smooth and corn is bright yellow but still retains its bite. To finish add the zest of four of the lemons and the juice of two.
5. Once pasta is cooked, strain and mix through sauce.
6. Serve to large pasta bowls topped with bacon, basil and parmesan. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.