CHICKEN SOUP (FOR THE SOUL)
WHAT'S IN IT?
1 x 1.2kg whole organic chicken
1 tbs rice bran oil
1 brown onion, roughly chopped
3 x eschallots, halved
6 x medium carrots, roughly chopped
6 x stalks celery, roughly chopped
1 x leek, cleaned and cut into discs
1 whole head garlic, cloves removed, crushed
3 x 5 cm knob ginger, roughly chopped
6 sprigs rosemary, leaves only (keep 2 sprigs aside for garnish, finely chopped)
8 sprigs thyme, whole
2 tbs chives, finely sliced, to garnish
2 tbs parsley, finely chopped, to garnish
PUTTING IT ALL TOGETHER:
1. In a large cast iron pot over medium high heat brown whole chicken until nicely coloured. Add half the onion, eschallot, carrot, celery, leek and garlic. Brown vegetables well (2-5mins) seasoning with salt and pepper.
2. Add water until chicken is covered. If chicken floats to surface, weigh down with a heavy plate. Bring water to the boil, add half the rosemary and thyme along with the ginger and reduce heat to a slow simmer cooking for 1 hour or until chicken is cooked.
3. Allow chicken to cool in cooking liquid and then carefully remove from pot. Strain the broth, removing all vegetables and herbs. Once chicken is cooled completely, pick the meat from the chicken and add back into the strained broth.
4. Bring soup back to the boil, then reduce to a simmer adding in the remaining, carrots, onion, eschallots, leek and celery. Along with more salt (to taste). Cook for 30mins or until fresh veg is just tender.
5. Ladle into bowls and top with fresh herbs.