RECIPE COLLECTION FROM DELICIOUS. ON SUNDAYS
WHAT'S IN IT?
1 cup (250ml) buttermilk
2 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp each ground cumin and smoked paprika (pimenton)
3 small (500g total) chicken breasts, sliced in half horizontally
2 eggs, lightly beaten
½ packet (75g) corn cakes, crumbled
¾ cup (135g) rice flour
Sunflower oil, to shallow-fry
Lemon wedges, to serve
Bitter leaf salad
½ cup (125g) buttermilk
3 tsp Dijon mustard
Juice of ½ lemon, plus wedges to serve
1 bunch rocket, trimmed
1 each red and white witlof, leaves picked
1 green apple, thinly sliced
4 dill sprigs, leaves picked
Sweet potato chips
800g small sweet potatoes, cut into thin wedges
2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
½ tsp smoked paprika (pimenton)
PUTTING IT ALL TOGETHER:
1. For the chips, preheat oven to 200°C. Line two large oven trays with baking paper. Toss sweet potato with olive oil and paprika. Season. Divide between trays, and roast, turning twice, for 35 minutes or until crisp.
2. For schnitzel, combine buttermilk, mustard, spices and 1 tsp salt in a shallow bowl. Add chicken and turn to coat.
3. Marinate in fridge for at least 20 minutes, then drain chicken, reserving marinade.
4. Lightly whisk egg with reserved marinade in a bowl. Whiz corn cakes in a food processor until they resemble coarse crumbs, then place in a shallow dish. Place rice flour in another shallow bowl. Dust chicken first with rice flour, then dip into egg mixture, and finally coat with corn crumbs, pressing firmly. Chill for 10 minutes.
5. For salad dressing, combine buttermilk, mustard and lemon juice in a screw-top jar, season, seal and shake to combine. Place salad leaves, apple and dill in a bowl.
6. Heat 2cm sunflower oil in a large frypan over medium heat. Pan-fry schnitzel, in batches, until golden. Drain on paper towel and season. Keep warm.
7. Toss salad with dressing, and serve with schnitzel, chips and lemon wedges.