1. Pull your steak out of the fridge ahead of time. It needs to be at ambient room temp before you cook it (20mins on the kitchen bench should suffice - pending how thick the steak is and how warm your kitchen is)
2. While the steak is coming to room temp, season well with sea salt flakes. I like to only use salt at the pepper can sometimes burn in a hot pan and give a bitter flavour.
3. Oil the steak and not the pan. This is important so that you dont get excess oil in the pan.
4. Heat your pan (preferably cast iron) until is is SUPER hot.
5. Place steak into pan and leave it. Let it cook until there is a nice crust on the bottom. The steak should lift away from the cast iron easily once this crust has formed. (Timings for this is difficult, it all depends on how thick your steak is, how hot the pan is and also, how you like your steak cooked.) Flip.
6. Cook until (I like) medium rare.
7. Remove from pan and place on a warmed plate, allow to rest (3-4mins at least - again this depends on the thickness / size of your steak).
8. Serve and enjoy!